Webkinz Newz and Chatz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm So Glad We Had This Time Together for the December 27th DCT

3 posters

Go down

I'm So Glad We Had This Time Together for the December 27th DCT Empty I'm So Glad We Had This Time Together for the December 27th DCT

Post by redwings left wing #11 Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:18 pm

On this day the Carol Burnett Show made its last air. It was one of my faorite shows and I have all of the seasons on DVD.

The popular variety show made the stars household names with such sketches as "As the Stomach Turns", "Went with the Wind" (a parody of Gone with the Wind featuring a scene with Burnett as Scarlett O'Hara in the dress made from a window curtain, complete with the curtain rod), "Carol & Sis", "Mr. Tudball" and "Mrs. Wiggins", "The Family" (which would later spin off into a show called Mama's Family), "Nora Desmond" (Burnett's send-up of Gloria Swanson's character Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard), and "Stella Toddler." A frequent repeated segment was "Kitchen Commercials", in which cast members parodied TV commercials that drove a woman (Burnett) crazy. It had frequent, high recognition guest stars. The long-running show was frequently nominated for Emmys, and won three times.

A unique feature of the show consisted of a question and answer segment involving the audience in CBS Studio 33 and Carol Burnett. Burnett usually did this for about 3-4 minutes at the start of most shows. Burnett would ask for the lights in the audience to be turned up ("Let's bump up the lights...") and then randomly pick audience members who raised their hand to ask her a question. This informality was possible due to the design of Studio 33; cameras were to the left and right of the stage with one below in the pit and one suspended, so the actors were very close to the audience.

Sample question from young woman in audience: "Have you ever taken acting lessons?" Carol: "Yes, I have." Audience member: "Do you think it did any good?"

The show was rehearsed for three to four hours each day until the Friday tapings, when two recordings were made. As there were only two recordings, if an actor flubbed a line in both takes, the error appeared in the broadcast, giving the show some immediacy. Pick ups were exceptions, and usually only used for musical numbers.

Through this program, Burnett became known for her acting and talent, and for ending each show by tugging her ear, which was a message to the grandmother who had raised her to let her know that she was doing well and that she loved her.
A true variety show in its simplest of forms, The Carol Burnett Show struck a harmonious chord with viewers through parodies of films ("Went With the Wind"), television ("As the Stomach Turns") and commercials. Burnett and team struck gold with the original skit "Mama's Family" which eventually spun off into its own television show starring Lawrence.
The show also became known for its closing theme song, with the following lyrics:

I'm so glad we had this time together
Just to have a laugh and sing a song
Seems we just got started and before you know it
Comes the time we have to say, 'So long.'[2]

Vicki Lawrence was the only cast member, other than Burnett, to remain with the series for its entire run. Tim Conway, though well remembered for his appearances on the show, did not become a full-time cast member until 1975. Harvey Korman left the show prior to its final season; he was temporarily replaced in the fall of 1977 by **** Van Dyke. Original cast member Lyle Waggoner left the series in 1974 to pursue a dramatic acting career and the next year was cast in Wonder Woman.

Burnett went on to star in movies, write a Broadway play, and continues to make appearances. Conway and Korman travelled to do comedy routines all over the country. Vicki Lawrence had a U.S. #1 hit record in 1973 ("The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia") and went on to star in several shows of her own (Mama's Family, the NBC daytime edition of Win, Lose or Draw, and her short-lived talk show, Vicki) and continues to perform around America writing and performing comedy sketches.
redwings left wing #11
redwings left wing #11

Male
Number of posts : 477
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

I'm So Glad We Had This Time Together for the December 27th DCT Empty Re: I'm So Glad We Had This Time Together for the December 27th DCT

Post by kittycat Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:33 pm

I loved the Gone with the Wind parody " I saw it in the window and couldn't resist" so funny,that was good TV show.

kittycat
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 482
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

I'm So Glad We Had This Time Together for the December 27th DCT Empty Re: I'm So Glad We Had This Time Together for the December 27th DCT

Post by Taigan Sloths! Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:56 pm

W-O-A-H!!! Wowzers. i got a Christmas tree for my room. It has cinnamon ornaments on it. And my webkinz reindeer ornament.
Taigan Sloths!
Taigan Sloths!

Male
Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down